J.M.'s Titles

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Breaking Dawn: Part 1

It's no secret that I am a fan of the Twilight Saga. I've read all of the books, including the Bree Tanner novella. Last night I went on a date with my wife to see the new Breaking Dawn movie. My thoughts? It was okay. Not horrible like I've read some reviews say, not awesome like I've read from others. I knew going into it that this was going to be a pretty subdued film, just as the first half of the book was. It's story building and had to be done. What I was disappointed with was the flatness of the script for the movie. In the book, there were tons of interesting character conflict. I would have liked to have seen more of the Bella and Rosalie interaction. What about more of the wolf pack splitting. It was a major deal for Jacob to leave and for others to join him, yet it was just glanced over. Carlisle and Jacob became very tight in the book, yet that was barely touched upon in the film. I don't know, I may be missing it as it is really a stripped down story about Bella and Edward, and maybe that's what the majority of people like or want to see. For me, Twilight is as much about the secondary characters as it is Edward and Bella. Charlie is played brilliantly. I don't know the actors name off the top of my head, but he is clearly the most well done character in any of the films. The CGI effects were pretty weak, the end scene with Rosalie holding Renesme looked very artificial. Some of the wolf scene looked ho-hum as well. They did do an amazing job in transforming Bella into what is basically a corpse. Since reading the book I'd wondered how they'd pull it off, but they did it marvelously. The visiting vampires from Alaska were awful. I didn't get anything cool from them at all which worries me some since the second movie is going to be filled with more vamps from around the world. Overall it was just okay for me. It could have been WAY better, but it still works. The soundtrack was kind of strange, but I like how they brought back some of the original classical works from the first film. The only thing that I really want from the Twilight Saga and Stephenie Meyer is a book about Carlisle set around the time he was turned. I think that would be one heck of a cool story!

No comments:

Post a Comment