J.M.'s Titles

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Thrilling sadness

Around two years ago, my son and I began reading the Harry Potter series. This may not seem like a big deal to some people, but my son is special. You see, though we didn't know it then, my son has Asperger's Syndrome and it was very hard for me to connect to him outside of video games. Though I don't mind video games, I can't say they are my "thing". When we started reading Harry Potter together, we suddenly had something in common that developed into a passion. Harry Potter was OUR thing.
Now it's officially over and I find myself very sad. We finished the Harry Potter series today and then watched the last movie tonight. Though it was an AMAZING series, the sadness doesn't come from the story being over. It comes from a fear that we may never capture that magic again. A fear that the two of us won't connect with something as deeply TOGETHER as we have this series. This has been a large part of our lives for the last two years. We have read each and every word together. It has become the best thing I've ever done with my son. It will be forever one of the greatest memories I will carry and I hope that he carries them as well.
He has already chosen our next series and it is the Spirit Animal series. I know nothing about it, but I don't care if it's the worst thing I've ever read. I'm going to read it to him like it's the last thing I'll ever read.
I love you, son.

No comments:

Post a Comment